What does Northern Trust do with your personal information?
Financial companies choose how they share your personal information. Federal law gives consumers the right to limit some but not all sharing. Federal law also requires us to tell you how we collect, share and protect your personal information. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do.
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include:
- Social Security number and income
- Account balances and payment history
- Credit history and account transactions
All financial companies need to share customers' personal information to run their everyday business. In the section below, we list the reasons financial companies can share their customers' personal information; the reasons Northern Trust chooses to share; and whether you can limit this sharing.
Reasons we can share your personal information
Does Northern Trust share?
Can you limit this sharing?
For our everyday business purposes — such as to process your transactions, maintain your account(s), respond to court orders and legal investigations, or report to credit bureaus
For our marketing purposes — to offer our products and services to you
For joint marketing with other financial companies
For our affiliates' everyday business purposes — information about your transactions and experiences
For our affiliates' everyday business purposes — information about your creditworthiness
We don't share
For our affiliates to market to you
For nonaffiliates to market to you
We don't share
To limit our sharing
- You may limit our use or sharing of information about you for marketing purposes by calling 1-877-265-3729, Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 8:30 pm Central Time and Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm Central Time; or by stopping in at one of our locations.
If you are a new customer, we can begin sharing your information 30 days from the date we sent this notice. When you are no longer our customer, we continue to share your information as described in this notice. However, you can contact us at any time to limit our sharing.
Contact us at 877-265-3729.
Who is providing this notice?
Northern Trust Company and its commonly owned affiliates and Northern Funds’ and 50 South Capital's family of funds.
How does Northern Trust protect my personal information?
To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. For more information and helpful resources, visit northerntrust.com/securitycenter.
How does Northern Trust collect my personal information?
We collect your personal information, for example, when you
- Seek financial or tax advice
- Make deposits or withdrawals from your account
- Open an account, apply for a loan or direct us to buy securities
We also collect your personal information from others, such as credit bureaus, affiliates or other companies.
Why can't I limit all sharing?
Federal law gives you the right to limit only for
- Affiliates’ everyday business purposes – information about your creditworthiness
- Affiliates using your information to market to you
- Nonaffiliates to market to you State laws and individual companies
State laws and individual companies may give you additional rights to limit sharing.
What happens when I limit sharing for an account I hold jointly with someone else?
Your choices will apply only to you — unless you tell us otherwise.
Companies related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- Our affiliates include companies with a Northern Trust name; financial companies such as The Northern Trust Company, and Northern Trust Securities, Inc.
Companies not related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- Northern Trust does not share with nonaffiliates so they can market to you.
A formal agreement between nonaffiliated financial companies that together market financial products or services to you.
- Our joint marketing partners are limited to the Northern Funds.